Psalm 91 states "He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." But what is the secret place of the most High? Mentioned several times throughout the Bible, the secret place is known to be one of the most beautiful and powerful descriptions of a deep and intimate relationship with God. It is known as a place of safety, comfort, and rest where we can come to know God more intimately and experience His presence in a profound way.
This article will explore the secret place of the most High meaning, biblical references to the secret place of the most High as well as creating your own secret place, feeling the Holy Spirit there, and meditating as a Christian.
The Secret Place in the Bible
The secret place is mentioned multiple times throughout the Bible, and it appears in both the Old and New Testament. Here are some biblical references to the secret place:
- "For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavilion; in the secret place of His tabernacle He shall hide me; He shall set me high upon a rock." (Psalm 27:5)
- "But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly." (Matthew 6:6)
- "A man will be as a hiding place from the wind, and a cover from the tempest, as rivers of water in a dry place, as the shadow of a great rock in a weary land." (Isaiah 32:2)
What does the Bible say about the value of a secret place?
A secret place or a place of solitude and communion with God has great value according to the Bible, as a secret place is mentioned several times throughout scripture. Additional references to the secret place in the Bible are as follows:
- "He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.'" This passage describes the secret place as a place of safety, refuge, and protection.( Psalm 91:1-2)
- "But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly." Here, Jesus instructs his followers to pray in secret, emphasizing the importance of a private and intimate relationship with God. (Matthew 6:6)
- "For thus says the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel: 'In returning and rest you shall be saved; in quietness and confidence shall be your strength.'" This passage speaks to the restorative and strengthening power of quietness and intimacy with God." (Isaiah 30:15)
Can I make my own secret place to worship God?
Yes, you can create your own secret place where you can spend time in prayer, Christian meditation, and feel the presence of the Holy Spirit. There is no limitation to what your secret place is, as long as it is a physical space where you feel comfortable and can focus on your relationship with God.
Some people create an assigned space in their homes, such as a room, corner, or even a closet where they can spend time in silent reflection and prayer. Many people prefer to go to natural settings, such as beaches, parks, and forests, where they can connect with God.
Finding or creating a place where you can spend time with God and focus on spiritual growth is important. As part of your spiritual practice, you may set aside regular times for prayer and meditation, create a peaceful atmosphere by lighting candles or playing music, or focusing on devotionals.
Remember, the secret place is not just a physical location, but a state of mind, heart, and soul where you can reach out to God and experience His presence.
What happens when you step into your secret place?
When you step into your secret place:
- You may feel a sense of peace and calm. As you leave behind the distractions and activities of the world, you may experience a sense of stillness and serenity.
- You may feel a deeper connection with God. Through prayer, Christian meditation, and self reflection, you can draw closer to God and experience His presence in a more profound way.
- You may gain clarity and insight. As you reflect on your life and seek God's guidance, you may receive wisdom and insight that can help you face challenges and make important decisions.
- You may experience healing and renewal. Spending time in your secret place can be a powerful source of emotional and spiritual healing, as you release your burdens and allow God's love to fill your heart.
How do I meditate on God?
Christian meditation is not about emptying your mind, but about focusing your mind on God and His Word. By making Christian meditation a regular part of your spiritual life, you can experience deeper intimacy with God, feel the presence of the Holy Spirit, and grow spiritually. Here are some steps you can follow for Christian meditation:
- Seek out a quiet and comfortable location (your secret place): Choose a place where you can sit relaxed and without any distractions. This could be a quiet room, a garden, or any other place where you feel at peace.
- Choose something to focus on: It could be a Bible verse, a phrase, or a word to focus on while in meditation. You may also want to use a devotional or prayer book to guide you.
- Relax your body: Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths to relax your body and clear your mind. Release any tension in your muscles and focus on your breathing.
- Focus on what you chose above: Begin to repeat your chosen focus, either silently or out loud. As you repeat it, reflect on its meaning and how it applies to your life. You can also visualize its meaning or picture yourself embodying it.
- Listen for God: As you meditate, be open to hearing from God. Listen for His voice, His guidance, and His wisdom. You may receive insights, ideas, or feelings while you are meditating.
- Close your meditation: When you are ready to end your meditation, slowly open your eyes and take a few deep breaths. Thank God for the wisdom and guidance you received during your meditation.
How do you feel when the Holy Spirit is in you?
Feeling the presence of the Holy Spirit can be a deeply personal and subjective experience, and can vary from person to person. Here are some common ways people have described feeling the presence of the Holy Spirit within them:
- Peace: The Holy Spirit can bring a sense of calm and tranquility, even in the midst of chaos or difficult circumstances.
- Joy: The presence of the Holy Spirit can fill you with a sense of happiness and contentment, even when things aren't going your way.
- Love: You can be filled with a sense of God's unconditional love for you and for others when the Holy Spirit is in you.
- Power: The Holy Spirit can empower you to overcome challenges and obstacles in your life, and to accomplish things you never thought possible.
- Conviction: You can be convicted of sin and guided to repentance and transformation by the Holy Spirit.
- Clarity: The Spirit of God can bring clarity and understanding to confusing or difficult situations, and can guide you in making wise decisions.
Remember, that God's Holy Spirit works in different ways in different people, and His presence can be felt in different ways at different times. But, if you are seeking to know God and to follow His will, you can trust that the Holy Spirit will guide you and empower you along the way as long as you have faith in Him.
The Secret Place is a place mentioned in the Bible where we can go to be alone with God and seek refuge, draw near to Him, and experience His presence. By meditating and seeking God in the secret place, we can find the strength and guidance we need to face life's challenges. We can create our own secret place and enter for self-reflection and connection with God, and there are many benefits to going into our secret place. It is also important to remember that the secret place is not just a physical location, but a state of mind, heart, and soul.
If you enjoyed reading this blog post, please leave a comment in the form field at the bottom of the page!